Thursday 23 February 2012

New Review of Nowhere to Hide by Joan Hall Hovey

"I was afraid of my own shadow. I read the book in trains, planes and airports only. Nowhere to Hide, as the name suggests, does not allow you to hide from your imagination. From the opening pages to the last, Joan Hall Hovey packs them with suspense. This reader is not a great fan of the murder mystery genre, but I found myself turning the pages eagerly, my heart beating furiously as scene after scene came to life before my eyes.

The plot focuses on Ellen Harris, a psychologist, and her obsession to track down her sister's killer. Predictably that puts her in harm's way with a brutal killer who has no qualms about subjecting his victims to violent deaths. However, the expectation of this inevitable encounter does not diminish the final showdown when it does happen. It sharpens the senses to it with terrifying effect. The climax does not disappoint. 

The words flow smoothly, never faltering, always moving forward with seamless ease. Words laced with menace and filled with foreboding. Words that create a chilling thriller that at once compels you follow the yarn as Hovey spins, and yet sets you free to roam with your imagination." ~ Fong Hsiung, My Writing Side

No comments:

Post a Comment