Friday 23 March 2012

Dreamheart Spotlight # 13



“the guy next door”
Male models are the yin to the yang of the fashion industry.  In this edition of Dreamheart Spotlight, I will introduce just the kind of guy with a good appreciation for style, fashion, and the arts. 

"Before modeling came into play I actually started with acting throughout high school… on stage and more recently film”, said John Gurtshaw (Actor/Model/Singer).  “It wasn't until a friend of mine whom I met while she was choreographing a show I was in at the time, told me about it that I decided to look into modeling. She mentioned to me that she modeled and that it would be a good for me to look into as far as another avenue to pursue.”


John has a vast history in the entertainment field. 

 “I went to Anne Arundel Community College in Arnold, MD and got my Associates Degree in Liberal Studies. Originally the focus or concentration of my study was vocal performance. I've being singing since I was in pre-school and once I went to college I tried going the professional route. I decided it wasn't for me and my professors were pushing me toward the opera route. I transferred to Frostburg State University and received my Bachelor's Degree in Theater with a concentration in Acting and a minor in Business. I've been acting now for about 12 years and just recently in the last year and a half started doing film and getting use to being in front of the camera as opposed to being on stage.”

It all comes back full circle for John, whether modeling or acting, entertainment is where he wants to be professionally. “It would be great to do more print work”, he said “If that print work happened to lead to big projects and films I would be completely happy.”

“Aside from being told I have the body type and all for it I would say I'm pretty comfortable when it comes to being in front of the camera. In acting it’s about selling yourself as a person, but in modeling it's being able to sell the idea or concept to the target audience and I feel that is something I could do, who knows, maybe my acting will help me in that aspect.”

John’s look has often been categorized as “the guy next door”; yet he denies any additional effort, attributing it all to genetics.  “Well needless to say I have my mom's genes and most people hate me for it I guess. Doesn't matter what I eat, the weight doesn't really go up, but doesn't go down either. I'm not limited on what I eat, but I do watch what I eat and try to live a healthy life style. I do work out at the gym during the week or try to at least 2 if not 3 times.”

John is currently represented by an agent with L and M Modeling and Talent which handles both Baltimore and New York. “The way I see one's portfolio getting better is constantly have opportunities to shoot with various photographers, while keeping in mind its quality over quantity, but also having variety”, he said.

John currently works full time and is only available for modeling gigs in the evening and on weekends, but he maintains his optimism of acquiring his “big break”.


Want to know more about this Dreamheart?The best way to contact John for either more information and/or booking:

 L & M Modeling Agency
Model Mayhem: #2551902
Facebook (personal): theaterguy4215@aim.com

Be sure to show John some love!  Don't miss next week's Dreamheart Spotlight!




*Photo credits: Killion Photography




About the Blogger
I'm Katrina, founder of Kindred Dreamheart. I'm an aspiring junior & women's petite celebrity "red carpet" clothing designer and book lover. I read select genres. However if it's a series I'm sure I'd love it also regardless of the genre. I read when I want to be entertained; watch TV when I'm bored; and when I'm not designing something fabulous, I blog. (((Contact Me)))

No comments:

Post a Comment