Monday 12 March 2012

Review: Twin-Bred by Karen A. Wyle

Twin-BredTwin-Bred by Karen A. Wyle

ebook, 343 pages
Published October 15th 2011 by Karen A. Wyle


My rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ❥

Can interspecies diplomacy begin in the womb?

In Twin-Bred, the human colony on Tofarn and the indigenous Tofa have great difficulty communicating with and basically comprehending each other. Scientist Mara Cadell, who lost a fraternal twin in utero, proposes that host mothers of either or both species carry twins, one human and one Tofa, in the hope that the bond between twins can bridge the gap between species. Mara has secretly kept her own twin, Levi, alive in her mind as a companion and collaborator.

Mara succeeds in obtaining governmental backing for her project – but both the human and Tofa establishments have their own agendas. Mara must shepherd the Twin-Bred through dangers she anticipated and others that even the canny Levi could not foresee. Will the Twin-Bred bring peace, war, or something else entirely?...


Big thanks to the author for entrusting me with an honest review.

From the moment I first saw the cover, I knew this book would freak me out. I'd admit I was kind of scared. Hey cover art is a VERY powerful thing. I've been known to love a book far more then it deserved or pass it up completely as because of the creativity invested in that one single image. But Fear? Fear is an entirely NEW emotion. Therefore true to my nature, no way was I going to let an eerie drawing, as they used to say in my old neighborhood, "punk" me. So I, with much effort, steered my eyes to the synopsis: THIS PEEKED MY INTEREST.

So naturally, I agreed to review the book. From the moment I received the ebook via email, my husband and I were is constant discussion. It reminds me of my high school days on the debate team. This is a debate worthy book. There's alot of themes that's keep your mental wheels turning and launching random conversations with strangers long after the story's over. I won't analyze every political or scientific study depicted in the book. However one rendition that was apparent was the L.E.V.I. or Twin-Bred project. It has such similarities and symbolism to the Biblical story of Jacob and Esau. The "two nations, or species in this case, in the womb" as a means of all the motives posed was genius. The personal and psychological and the public and national dimensions of the twin-bred union between the two species are awe inspiring noteworthy.

This story is told in third person point of view. This was both a positive and a negative. The positive is it allowed an insider view of every mechanic of the story and character. The negative is it made the characters look one dimensional. Even after reading the entire story, I still don't feel as if I know the characters very well. In terms of believable, everyone acted too weird to be considered normal. Heck even the main scientist Mara Cadell was kind of "off her rocker". But I won't get into all that. Mara Cadell was great lead character. She a lonely, crazy, smart, lady engrossed in her work. You can't help but love her.

Overall I liked this story. The ending was very unexpected.  The reason I can't give it "5" hearts is because it was slow in places; and I'm an action-loving kind of girl. In Summary: Tofarn is the planet the Humans fled to after they used up Earth. The story doesn't really focus on Tofarn, so you'll only get snipids of this new world. But anyway, they land and see that this safe haven is already populated. Needless to say, there is no peace. The Twin-Bred project was created to link the bridge: one human, one Tofu embryo placed in the womb of a human or Tofu host. The experient follows the twins from before IVF to adulthood. If you're wondering how this experiment progressed socially and politically. you'll have to read this to find out.

I would recommend this to sci-fi fanatics and adults. YA readers may enjoy it also, but there's very little normal teenage content to relate.



Paperback available @ Barnes and Noble | Amazon 
ebook available @ Amazon


About the Blogger
I'm Katrina, founder of Kindred Dreamheart. I'm an aspiring junior & women's petite celebrity "red carpet" clothing designer and book lover. I read select genres. However if it's a series I'm sure I'd love it also regardless of the genre. I read when I want to be entertained; watch TV when I'm bored; and when I'm not designing something fabulous, I blog. (((Contact Me)))

No comments:

Post a Comment