Wednesday 11 April 2012

Masquerade Read-Along April 1 - 28, 2012: Week 2 (Q & A)

See my week 1 responses here!

Hello Beautiful People:

This week I have to type my responses.  I haven’t yet fully recovered from my Spring bug, so my voice isn’t 100% back yet for a Vlog.  Anyhow, I’ve been bouncing all over the place in anticipation to get back to reading this story.  Chapters 8 thru 16 did not disappoint.

Chapters 8-16 Discussion Questions

1. Sam is admittedly drawn to Heven before they even meet. Why do think this is?

I’m still a little unsure of the pronunciation of her name.  Is it EVEN with an “H” sound in the beginning or an alternate spelling of heaven?  Anyway I’m sure Heven was a very pretty girl before the assault.  But that may have only been part of the reason Sam was drawn to her.  I’m sure it didn’t hurt either.  From the story, he says, he was drawn to her vibrant personality (or something like that).  From the reactions of the student body after Kimber’s party, I assume she just was just very charismatic.  She had a way of making you feel good about yourself even when you were complimenting her.  Her decline in confidence definitely affected her social interactions; but it didn’t make people shun her because of her scar.  There were only one or two and she assumed the majority were the same.  But I’m getting off subject so let’s proceed to the next question.

2. In an earlier chapter The Hope states that Sam must prove himself. During these chapters Sam does some things – bad things – (covering up murder, fighting, hiding a body, etc.) all to protect Heven and his true identity. Do you think he was right to do these things?

No!  My Godmother always said, “Don’t put clean clothes on a dirty body” or was it “Don’t put dirty clothes on a clean body.”  Any who I’m sure she’d shudder to think of cleaning a spill on the kitchen counter with a filthy rag.  The point is you can’t expect to purify that ledger in Heaven of bad deeds doing more bad deeds with good intentions.  It’s an oxymoron. 
3. In chapter twelve Kimber says some thing’s to Heven that make the reader wonder about their friendship. Do you think there is any truth Kimber’s drunken confessions? If so where do you think Heven and Kimber’s friendship goes from here?

Oh boy, don’t get me started!  Yes and I know for a fact Kimber meant every word of it.  I was forced to stop reading and jot down a whole list of PG-13 insults that expressed what I thought of that scene.    (Too bad I can’t locate it right now)  Heven is far too forgiving.  If it was me, that repugnant trifling unapologetic scallywag would have “FRIEND” + (my name) = lobotomized from her brain matter.
4. Heven is changing, becoming more confident. Do you think that after something like this (her accident and disfigurement) happens to someone that she can ever go back to the person she was before? Do you think she will want to?

No, I don’t think she’ll ever go back to being the way she was before.  Before, she was fragile.  Now she’ll be a far stronger person mentally and confidently.  She also has identified who like her for her and who had ulterior motives.  Once you’ve been shown the light, who wants to go back to being naïve? 
5. Toward the end of these set of chapters, Heven finds out Sam’s secret, who he really is. She has a strong reaction. Do you think you would react the same way? Why or why not?

Yes, her reaction was believable if not a little dramatic.  She was accidentally on purpose attempting to commit suicide.  I wouldn’t go that far out of fear.

It’s getting a little easier to pace my reading with the group now.  If feels like a soap opera…right when I get to the good part…I have to wait next week to read more.  But I’m loving the suspense.  It makes it that much better when I do get to read what happens next.  The way that it ended this round has me on the edge of my swivel chair.

See you next week!  Thanks for visiting!

Be sure to check out the other participant responses.

It's not too late to sign up!

WEEK THREE Questions:
April 19th – Heidi at Rainy Day Ramblings
Chapters 16-24
5 Discussion Questions
1. Heven’s mother has definite ideas about Heven and her scars – what they mean – and their relationship is strained. Do you think their relationship can be saved?
 2. Sam tells Heven about how he came to be living on his own, how his parents kicked him out after he became what he is. He doesn’t seem angry though, he seems to accept it. Would you be angry? Do you think he should be?
 3. During these chapters, Heven and Sam visit the Inbetween and meet Airis (aka The Hope). Were you surprised by this series of events? Do you think a place like the InBetween really exists?
 4. When Heven’s scars are no longer a part of her and she says “she no longer recognizes herself” – do you think that the absence of her scar will change her once more?
 5. Gran is very accepting of Heven and of Sam. Do you think that she understands more – knows more than she lets on about Heven’s life or do you think her love is just unconditional?



About the Blogger
I'm Katrina, founder of Kindred Dreamheart. I'm an aspiring junior & women's petite celebrity "red carpet" clothing designer and book lover. I read select genres. However if it's a series I'm sure I'd love it also regardless of the genre. I read when I want to be entertained; watch TV when I'm bored; and when I'm not designing something fabulous, I blog. (((Contact Me)))

No comments:

Post a Comment