Friday 20 April 2012

Dreamheart Spotlight #17

I grew up in a town bursting at the seams with underrated extraordinary talent.  It never cease to amaze me what I find when I host casting calls in Memphis, Tennessee.  Recently I discovered a model labeled as ʺThe Lionessʺ not only because of her introverted, mysterious, and passive yet highly aggressive demeanor; but also her feline eyes and signature runway walk.

 In this edition of Dreamheart Spotlight, I will introduce the child prodigy and commercial model, with a distinctive flair, Kat Braxton; who’s looking to make a name for herself as a plus size model. 

“I’ve been in the industry since I was born,” she said.  “I grew up around some the greatest entertainers of all time. My father was a top radio announcer, voiceover artist, and performer/band director and my mother is a blues/southern soul recording artist. I took to the age at the age of 5, so performing is all I’ve ever known. 

Music was my first love, it’s in my blood. It was and still is my number 1 goal, to be a successful recording artist. I’m also a trained theater actress. I stepped onto the stage of Memphis’ Orpheum Theater when I was only 11 years old.

 Modeling was something that I just kind of fell into. I was discovered by my first agent at, out of all places, a funeral, at the age of 17. I’m five foot nine and half inches tall. He saw me towering over everybody else in the crowd on the parking lot, then he saw walk across the parking. He ran towards me and asked if I had ever considered modeling, because I had the most fluid, and poised walk he had seen. He gave my mother his card, we called maybe two weeks later and I inked my first contract. I had never considered modeling as a career, especially being a full figured girl. I was apprehensive at first, but after the first time I stepped on the runway and heard that thunderous applause from the audience, I knew that I had discovered a new passion.”
In theory having parents who have paved a path to fame would make it easier for you to attain fame in your own right.   Kat was no exception to that hypothesis.

“By the time I was in high school my parents decided to hire a private teacher and home school me, so that I could have time to pursue my career aspirations and be able to take bookings that I wouldn’t have been able to if I were in a traditional learning institution, “she said.

Contrary to popular belief, it takes a lot more than just being plus sized to be successful in the plus-size fashion scene.  You also need drive and a tough skin to make it in the industry.

“Physically I embody all that a plus size model should; I’m photogenic and height and weight proportionate,” stated Kat. “When I am shooting I’m always aware of body angles, facial expressions, and lighting. Being plus size model, I’m the underdog.  I have no room to be just as good as every other model. I have to be 10 times better and 20 steps ahead of the rest. I give 100 percent of myself to my craft. I’m not an amateur; this is my life, this is what I do. I breathe, sleep, and eat entertainment and fashion. There is no room for anything else in my life. This is what I was born to do, it was destined and ordained. It’s been embedded in my DNA.”

Plus size models are also no exception to dietary standards and Kat has had her share of the struggle.

“As a plus size model I have to maintain my curves, but I must also ensure that my curves are not out of control. My weight fluctuates up down and when I gain weight it’s hard to get it off. So, I have to ensure that I maintain an unwavering workout regimen. I do a 45 minute, total body toning, and cardio workout three to four times a week. I eat whatever I want, but everything must be done in moderation. I must admit that I splurge here and there, but those are the times that I intensify my workout regimen. I absolutely hate working out, but I love to eat so I really have to push myself to remain disciplined, ” she said.

Kat has a fabulously large resume’ and portfolio, which is promising in itself, but credits her achievements in part to her agent.

“… Leonard Pegues took me under his arms and taught me the ends and out of the industry, helping to hone my craft,” she said.  “I myself have become a reputable talent coach, taking the tools and knowledge that were given to me to help develop new talent.”

With her impeccable work ethics and attention to details during shows, Kat’s runway walk has been described as “a sache' that oozes pride and confidence much like the lioness traipses through the jungle”.

“I aim to dominate in all that I do,” she said.


Currently a junior in college and represented by two agencies, Kat is always looks beyond the horizons.  She said, “My ultimate goal, as it relates to modeling, is to be able to create a new standard of beauty. The representation that we currently see of plus size women in publications is not realistic. A size 8, 10, or even a 12 does not represent the average women in America. I want to be able to break down those barriers in the world of fashion. To be the poster child, a source of inspiration for that little girl who looks in the mirror and hates what she see, because she’s been called fat. I want to encourage that teenage girl who is battling an eating disorder, because all the images she sees in magazines or on television tell her that she is not good enough. I want to be the new prototype of the plus size model. I want to create an international brand, to have my name be synonymous with greatness. I want to reach unparalleled heights of success, both in front and behind the camera. One of my goals is to open a specialty agency, representing real people who have amazing talent, but don’t necessarily fit the traditional mold. I want to be a legend, and icon, to do it unlike anyone that came before me.”
 


Want to know more about this Dreamheart?
The best way to contact Kat for either more information and/or booking:

Twitter- @MsKatBraxton

 Be sure to show Ms. Kat Braxton some love!  Don't miss next week's Dreamheart Spotlight!

*Credits: Image #1: JD Westbrook Photography | Image #2: The House of Monee' | Image 3 & 4 : Greg Moore Photography.


About the Blogger
I'm Katrina, founder of Kindred Dreamheart. I'm an aspiring junior & women's petite celebrity "red carpet" clothing designer and book lover. I read select genres. However if it's a series I'm sure I'd love it also regardless of the genre. I read when I want to be entertained; watch TV when I'm bored; and when I'm not designing something fabulous, I blog. (((Contact Me)))

No comments:

Post a Comment