Thursday 29 December 2011

Trina by Darrell Debrew

Trina (DC Bookdiva Presents)Trina by Darrell Debrew

Publication: January 31st 2011 by DC Bookdiva Publications
Format: ARC Paperback

My rating: ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Murder chose Trina at age fifteen when her mother's boyfriend attempted to rape her. After serving time in prison, Trina is adopted by a retired FBI agent who trains her to become one of the deadliest paid hit girls the agency has seen. With a thirst for killing, Trina soon becomes a Homicidal Hydro Killer with a vicious appetite for her next hit. Things are good until she can't execute her very last assignment. Things change. Maybe for the best; maybe not.

I won this book ARC, and it deserves more than 5 stars.



I picked up this book with a biasness that was not in its favor. I had predetermined opinions about urban fiction; yet Trina prevailed over every last one of them. I am forced to apologize and admit that I was wrong. I applaud Darrell Debrew for not using the stereotypes of this genre as a selling point. He took a more profound exploration into the legal system, as well as the mechanics of a serial killer, that allowed the reader to see both sides of the story. The author’s legal familiarity begs to compete with shows like Law and Order, CSI, Blue Bloods, and First 48. The unlikely source of comic relief was in the defense attorney.

Never since the movie “Set It Off”, had I cheered on the criminal. Trina was a very likeable character. Don’t get me wrong, Trina truly was a homicidal maniac that lacked moral fiber except between her brother. Not all her kills were justified; yet the execution was magnificent. She had misguided emotions due to her relationship with her mother and abandonment and misdirected via drugs, sex, and contracted killing. At the end of the day, she had to find peace within.

All the scenes were realistic, however larger than life in the composition of it all happening to one person, but that’s what makes the perfect action novel. This book was not predictable, thus holding my attention and keeping me in suspense. This book was a nonstop adrenaline rush. I would be an advocate for seeing this novel transition to the big screen as a motion picture. All I ask is that the director splurges on the budget. My favorite part is when Trina used a M16 with a M203 attached to take out one of her pursuers. Instead of the rifle, she used the grenade launcher to blow the vehicle sky high. (I’m an armorer and can appreciate that kind of stuff.) A B-rated move just wouldn’t do that scene justice.

Needless to say, I was thoroughly entertained.

Debrew had the courage to address the common and rarely written about issues with some mothers and their daughters; the disturbing reality of seemingly normal couples using the foster system for adverse reasons; a corrupt justice system; from hustling to avoid underlining issues; and the toxic concoction of the human being that comes as a result of it all.

Trina is an unexpected jewel among urban fiction thrillers. I encourage everyone to take this uncensored exploration into the mind and life of the Homicidal Hydro Killer, Trina!



No comments:

Post a Comment