Friday 29 June 2012

Tour Stop/Review: Retro Geeks by Karen Mueller Bryson

Retro GeeksRetro Geeks by Karen Mueller Bryson

Paperback/Ebook, First Edition, 132 pages
Published March 29th 2012 by CreateSpace

Rating:  
Retro Geeks is a Short on Time Books for Teens, fast-paced and fun novels for readers on the go. Remember when it wasn't cool to be a geek? That's so yesterday! Retro Geeks, chronicles the (mis)adventures of two self-proclaimed geek girls, Molly and Ally, as they attempt to land super-hot dates for their senior prom. The 80s obsessed BFFs attempt a variety of date-finding schemes, including spying on the popular girls for the 411 on fitting in, in their quest for top-tier prom dates.





My name is Katrina and I am an 80’s baby.  The 80’s was one of the cheesiest eras of America history style wise.  Yet a lot of creativity evolved from the free flow of uninhibited expression.  I am also a geek.  I’ve been a geek all my life; even before being geeky or nerdy was cool.  That being said, I was very intrigued and excited to review this novel. 

I had high expectations.  But I was mistaken to anticipate a five star.  This story fell a little flat for me.  The geeks weren’t anything like Revenge of the Nerds, or funny like The Big Bang.  They were adorable like Steve Urkel; but they weren’t magical like Harry Potter.  Majority of the time Molly and Ally were oblivious and a bit immature to be depicted as high school seniors.  But it wasn’t ALL bad.  I found myself laughing more often than rolling my eyes.  Overall the story was quirky and witty, so I didn’t hate it.  I just didn’t love it as much as I expected.

This was a very quick read; and I like to blame the length of the story.  Everything felt rushed and slow at the same time.  I really enjoyed the continuous references to 80’s music and fashion.  That was the primary driving force propelling me to finish this novel.



Tour Courtesy of YA Bound!

No comments:

Post a Comment