Friday 25 January 2013

Review: Don't Call Me Angel by Alicia Wright Brewster


Don't Call Me Angel (Forsaken #0.5)Don't Call Me Angel (Forsaken 0.5)
by Alicia Wright Brewster
Paperback, 120 pages
Published June 15th 2012 by Dragonfairy Press
GoodReads | Amazon

After crawling her way out of Hell, Six is ready to cast aside her angel wings and all the responsibilities that come with them. But Earth is not as peaceful as she imagined it. Demons, dark angels, and other hell-beasties escaped before her, and they're not as content as she is to live a quiet life on Earth. A fellow angel who escaped Hell with her commits a series of soul-murders, destroying human souls so they can't go to the afterlife. Although Six has conflicting feelings about humans, she goes after the other angel to keep their escape a secret from the one she fears most.





I read this a while back and didn't realize I didn't post my review. So I had to go back, dig up my voice recorded notes and get to typing...

Don't Call Me Angel had me on alert from the title and quivering from the menacing cover. It simply screamed badassness. To add to the exterior appeal, the first paragraph had me prying my focus away.

When I picked this novel up, I didn't realize it was simply the prequel. Reflecting back, that makes since seeing as that this is merely a teaser. This don't give enough background for you to truly grasp the context of the situations. I enjoyed the mystery yet secretly begged for more. I didn't even learn the true meaning of Six's name until the very end. I admit that was a nagging factor for me. I like to have all the logistical info up front and the drama later. Don't Call Me Angel drives home the concept that "heroes" are dead and displays a villain seeking redemption. While Six isn't requesting mercy, she's definitively not evil incarnate. Yep, there's a whole lot of gray zone aura surrounding her. I really enjoyed that this read like a graphic novel, complete with a picture here or there. I guess if I had to complain about something, I would ask for more romance. I mean in your face lovey dopey, because I'm a sucker for that stuff. I look forward to seeing where A.W. Brewster goes with this series. Big thanks to the publisher and author for entrusting me with an honest review.



No comments:

Post a Comment